Thinking about hiring a consultant? Unsure if it's the right move for you?
Here are ten tips to keep in mind:
- Make sure you really need a consultant
- Know what you want the consultant to do
- carry out a time-limited task
- work one day a week or month to design a work plan and provide guidance
- fill in for staff who is on leave or vacation
- train and motivate people
- Find someone who is focused on your needs, not theirs
- Look for someone who is a full time consultant
- Find someone who can communicate with you
- Ask for - and check - the consultant's references
- See if they are a member of one or more professional organizations
- Make sure you get a written contract
- Make sure they are truly 'independent' (and unbiased)
- Manage - don't control - the relationship going forward
"Consultants must know what your organization can learn from their teaching, guiding, and advice giving, and what it can only learn from experience. They must know what they can do for an organization, and what an organization can only do for itself." Kim Klein, Shelterforce Online
At Black Tie Events, there is no gray, there is only black and white. We will be sure you know exactly what you can expect from us and when. We operate our business based on old fashioned values and ethical business practices.
How can we help?
Call us today for a customized proposal and we'll let you know how we can help.